Rwanda Defence Force (RDF) has revealed that the assailants that attacked three paseenger vehicles in Cyitabi, Nyamagabe district on Saturday fled to neighbouring Burundi after three of them were killed.
Following the attack that has so far claimed five lives, the RDF said it pursued the assailants and killed three while the rest fled in Burundi.
Civilians who were missing after the attack had been rescued, RDF said in a latest statement.
Military Spokesperson Lt Col Innocent Munyengango said: “The RDF engaged and killed three of the fleeing assailants and the rest escaped into Burundi. We have also rescued all the civilians that the assailants attempted to abduct, some received counseling before being sent home.
We also recovered several items stolen from victims but many of them had been destroyed.”
Lt. Col. Munyengango added that: “Of the civilians injured in the Saturday attack and undergoing treatment, two have died from their injuries.”
Meanwhile, RDF said the road that had been cordoned for security purposes “is clear, safe for all the traffic and the area secure.”