Rwanda Football Federation (FERWAFA) has confirmed that all domestic competitions will not be halted during the FIFA World Cup Tournament which will be staged in Russia in June.
The development comes after FERWAFA was granted permission by FIFA to play continue with their competitions during the month of June and July.
According to FIFA regulations, all leagues around the World must come to a halt ahead of the commencement of the World Cup.
However, FERWAFA said in a statement on Monday, “Following the congested Azam Rwanda Premier League, the second division men’s league, women football leagues (first and second division) and the annual Peace Cup competition, Rwanda Football Federation requested FIFA early this month to grant them a special permission to continue with the domestic programme during the world cup in order to be able to finish them on time such that next year’s season would be held in conformity with 2019 Confederation of African Football’s (CAF) calendar of competitions.”
Late last week, FIFA authorized the FA to continue the leagues during the World Cup in a FIFA letter which was signed by Deputy Secretary General, Zvonimir Boban
Boban said, “We would like to thank you for informing us that the Rwandan leagues intend to hold matches during the period of the 2018 FIFA World Cup,”
“FIFA has no issue with the Rwandan leagues continuing to play as long as players selected on the release lists of participating Member Associations taking part in the 2018 FIFA World Cup are released to their federations as of 21 May 2018,” stated the.
Following the permission from FIFA, all domestic competitions will continue unhindered during the month of June and July.