Ten rally crews from Rwanda, Burundi and Uganda will compete in the 35th edition of the Rallye des Mille Collines that will take place on Saturday in Nyamata, Bugesera district.
According to the Rwanda Auto Club (RAC) Secretary General, Ange Francois Cyatangabo, the one-day event will have four competitive sections covering a total of 146.48km.
Drivers will first take part in the 14.41km from Gako-Gasenyi section, then head into the 21.22km section from Gasenyi to Nemba which will be followed by another 21.22km section from Nemba to Gasenyi before winding up with a 14.61km section from Gasenyi to Gako respectively.
Rallye des Mille Collines is the last race of the Rwanda National Championship, which is led by Burundian Imitiaz Din.
Burundian Imitiaz Din who will be navigated by Bigirimana Christophe leads the race for the Rwanda National Championship with 65 points, seven points ahead of his closest Rwandan challenger Gakwaya Jean Claude (58 points).
Gakwaya Eric who will be Rutabingwa sits in third slot with 51 points, one point ahead of Giesen Jean Jean who has 50 points while Burundian Iremezo Christian completes the top five with 37 points.
The Rwanda National Championship started with the Rally de l’Est on March 24, followed by Huye rally which was held between June 22-24, followed by Uganda Pearl of Africa rally held in July 20-22, followed by Sprint rally held on September 8 while the most recent event was the Rwanda held on October 5-7, 2018.
Rwandan crew Giesen Jean Jean navigated by Dewalque Yannik won last year’s Rallye des Mille Collines while Rwanda’s Gakwaya is the reigning National Rally Champion.
Provisional Entry List
1. Giesen Jean Jean/Dewalque Yannik (Toyota Celica, Rwanda)
2. Imitiaz Din/Bigirimana Christophe (Toyota Avensis, Burundi)
3. Gakwaya Eric/Rutabingwa Fernard (Subaru Impreza GCB, Rwanda)
4. Kayitankore Lionel/Remera Regis (Toyota Celica, Rwanda)
5. Mbabazi Olivier/Kubwimana Emmanuel (Subaru Impreza GCB, Rwanda)
6. Mugyereza Edson/Kyambadde Sirajih (Subaru Impreza, Uganda)
7. Tassos Gakuba Fergadiotis/Mujiji Kevin (Toyota Corolla, Rwanda/Uganda)
8. Bolandemu Gilberto/Waiswa Ibrahim (Toyota Corolla, Uganda)
9. Gakwaya Jean Claude/Mugabo Jean Claude (Subaru Impreza, Rwanda)
10. Semana Genese/Pascal (Peugeot 205, Rwanda)
National Rally Championship Overall Standings (Top 5)
1. Imitiaz Din (Burundi)-65
2. Gakwaya Claude (Rwanda)-58
3. Gakwaya Eric (Rwanda)-51
4. Giesen Jean Jean (Rwanda)-50
5. Iremezo Christian (Burundi)-37
National Rally Championship Overall Standings (Top 3)-2WD
1. Kayitankore Lionel (Rwanda)-51
2. Tassos Gakuba Fergadiotis (Rwanda)-29
3. Murenzi Alain (Rwanda)-27