Astana Pro team and Eritrean rider Merhawi Kudus won the second stage of the 2019 Tour du Rwanda which winded on Monday in Huye District.
Kudus, the 2015 African cycling championship winner completed the 120.3km in three hours, two minutes and seventeen seconds (3h02’17) to beat Delko Marseille Provence’s Przemyslaw Kasperkiewicz by two seconds in the final sprint and Eritrea’s Biniyam Ghirmay.
The reigning Africa Cyclist of the year Joseph Areruya finished fourth to miss out on the podium. Following his fourth place finish, the 2018 African Cyclist of the Year, Areruya took the best young rider’s jersey.
The reigning Tour du Rwanda champion Mugisha Samuel who is riding for Dimension Data for Qhubeka was the second-best placed Rwandan, finishing ninth on the stage rankings.
With the Kudus victory, Eritrean born rider will head into Stage three with the yellow jersey after taking control of the general standings.
In the individual performances, Spanish Torres Muino Pablo of Interpro cycling club won the King of the Mountain accolade following his effort in stage two where he finished 75th, coming two minutes and 52 seconds behind the winner.
American rider Rugg Timothy of Petro du Luanda took the sprinters’s classification jersey following his 41st place finish.
The best African rider classification was won by Kudus of Astana Pro team while Rwanda’s Areruya came in second spot with Eritrea’s Tesfom finishing third.
The best Rwandan classification was again taken by Areruya beating fellow countrymates Mugisha Samuel of Dimensio Data and Team Rwanda’s Valens Ndayisenga.
The Tour du Rwanda 2019 edition has attracted 78 riders representing 16 teams from 25 countries.
Action continues on Tuesday with stage two taking part in one of the grueling and longest stage ever in the history of Tour du Rwanda, riding 213.1km from Huye District to Rubavu District.
2019 Tour du Rwanda
Stage Two (120.3km) Results
1. Kudus Merhawi (Astana Pro, Eritrea) -03h02’17
2. Kasperkiewicz Przemyslaw (Delko Marseille Provenance, France) -03h02’19
3. Girmay Hailu Biniam (Eritrea) 03h02’19
4. Joseph Areruya (Delko Marseille Provenance) -03h02’19
5. Contreras PINZON Rodrigo (Astana Pro Team, Colombia) -03h02’19
6. Aguirre Caipa Hernan Ricardo (Interpro Cycling, Colombia) -03h02’19
7. Guglielmi Simon (France U23 Team) -03h02’19
8. Hailemichaeil Mulu (Dimension Data, Ethiopia) -03h02’19
9. Mugisha Samuel (Dimension Data, Rwanda) -03h02’19
10. Natarov Yuriy (Astana Pro Team, Kazakhstan) -03h02’19 ‘ ‘
General Classification after Stage 2
1. Kudus Merhawi (Astana Pro Team, Eritrea) 05h43’49’
2. Kasperkiewicz Przemyslaw (Delko Marseille Provence, Poland) -05h43’51
3. Joseph Areruya (Delko Marseille Provence, Rwanda) -05h43’51
4. Guglielmi Simon (France U23 team) -05h43’51
5. Fedeli Alessandro (Delko Marseille Provennce, Italy) -05h43’51
6. Tesfom Sirak (Eritrea) -05h43’51
7. Debesay Abreham Yakob (Eritrea) -05h43’51
8. Aguirre Caipa Hernan (Interpor Cycling Academy, Colombia) -05h43’51
9. Nauleau Bryan (Direct Energie, France) -05h43’51
10. Mugisha Samuel (Dimension Data) -05h43’51
2019 Tour de Rwanda stages:
Stage 1 – Sunday February 24: Kigali-Kigali (112.5 km)
Stage 2 – Monday Februart 25: Kigali-Huye (120.3 km)
Stage 3 – Tuesday February 26: Huye – Rubavu (213.1 km)
Stage 4 – Wednesday February 27: Rubavu – Karongi (103 km)
Stage 5 – Thursday February 28: Karongi – Musanze (138.7 km)
Stage 6 – Friday March 1: Musanze – Nyamata (120.5 km)
Stage 7 – Saturday March 2: Nyamata – Kigali (84.2 km)
Stage 8 – Monday March 3: Kigali – Kigali (66.8 km)