Developing Story: Callixte Nsabimana Pleads Guilty to All 16 Charges

Nsabimana and his lawyer in Court today.

Callixte Nsabimana ‘Sankara’ – a suspected terrorist appeared at Gasabo Primary Court in Kibagabaga, Gasabo district on Thursday morning to respond to sixteen charges.

He pleaded guilty to all counts.

Appearing in Court with his lawyer Moise Nkundabarashi, the duo listened attentively as Prosecutors read all sixteen counts against Nsabimana.

The charges include, among others; terrorism, kidnapping, murder, Genocide denial, armed robbery, arson, forgery and causing bodily harm.

Before his arrest, Nsabimana had, through You Tube and Social Media platforms, claimed to have organized and commanded several attacks that claimed lives in South-Western parts of the country last year.

Prosecution unearthed details of how Nsabimana and his network operated and commanded attacks through support of Burundi and Uganda’s Intelligence officers.

For instance, Prosecutors told Court that in March this year, Nsabimana was facilitated by Maj. Bertin alias Moses – Burundi’s External Intelligence Officer to meet Uganda’s head of Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence (CMI) Brig. Gen. Abel Kandiho.

On the Ugandan side, Prosecutors told Court, the meeting between Nsabimana and Brig. Kandiho was facilitated by Capt. Sunday Charles – revealing that the suspect (Nsabimana) pleaded guilty to all charges during the questioning.

Prosecution further requested the suspect to be remanded – citing the gravity of the crimes he is accused of.

On April 30, Rwanda Investigation Bureau (RIB) said they had “detained Nsabimana, while processing his criminal case file.”

Yesterday (Wednesday), National Prosecution Authority (NPPA) submitted his file to court for pre-trial arraignment.

KT Press reporters remain on ground as the hearing proceeds.




Leave a Comment