Nsabimana Callixte Remanded

Nsabimana Callixte(L) and his lawyer Lawyer Moise Nkundabarashi in court – May 23

Gasabo primary court in Kigali has ruled for a thirty day provisional detention for Nsabimana Callixte who is accused of 16 crimes.

Nsabimana is accused of 16 criminal counts which include forming an armed terror group, conspiracy to overthrow the present government, terrorism, arson, murder and abduction of civilians in the southern province of Rwanda last year and genocide denial among others.

The court reminded all the accusations; how Nsabimana founded Rwandese revolution movement (RRM) with other five counterparts to destabilize Rwanda and latter on, becoming the spokesperson of FLN.

His group later joined other armed groups with the same intention. The court thus reminded that Nsabimana is accused to be behind terror attacks that killed six in Kitabi and Nyabimata respectively in Nyaruguru district.

The judge thus said, that the accusations are sensitive and the suspect should be remanded.

“Given that the suspect pleaded guilty, and there are plaintiffs, videos where he confesses committing these crimes, we find that these are enough reasons for the suspect to be pursued,” the presiding judge said.

“The court also finds important reasons to remand him, because, otherwise, he may escape and join the group and allies where he came from.”

During the  bail hearing, Nsabimana had asked to be given bail, defending that he was “cooperating with investigators since he was arrested in April.”

However, the court said that this does not add up because “he did not consent to leave the forest and repatriate, rather, he was arrested and deported to Rwanda.”

This, the judge said, is enough to understand that, if released, he can escape.




Leave a Comment