Home NewsNational FLN Trial: Appeals Court To Decide on Rusesabagina Fate Today

FLN Trial: Appeals Court To Decide on Rusesabagina Fate Today

by

20 of the 21 defendants were in court on Monday

The Court of Appeal will today Tuesday deliver a decision on the fate of Paul Rusesabagina in the appeal trial involving members of the Rwanda Movement for Democratic Change (MRCD)/National Liberation Front (FLN)

On Monday the same court adjourned the hearing, to assess issues raised by lawyers regarding the participation Rusesabagina, who was convicted to 25 years on terror-related charges.

The appeal hearing kicked off at the Appeals Court sitting in Kacyiru, with 20 of the 21 suspects in the terror trial attending, while Rusesabagina, did not show up.

The panel of judges led by the President of the Court of Appeal, Francois RĂ©gis Rukundakuvuga, who presided over the session, which mainly focused on procedures, will make a decision on the way forward today.

The hearing kicked off, with Prosecution, led by the Deputy Prosecutor General, Angelique Habyalimana and national prosecutors including Claudine Dushimimana, Bonaventure Ruberwa and Jean Pierre Habarurema presenting their case on the appeal.

The Prosecutors told court that the missing defendant Rusesabagina, was informed about the forthcoming case by prison authorities but did not acknowledge receipt of the letter or sign it.

Prosecution appealed the outcome of the trial after the verdict was delivered on September 20, 2021 while 13 of the accused also filed appeals as well as civil parties involved in the case.

The accused were found guilty on terror-related charges orchestrated by the FLN in the south western part of the country, which claimed at least 9 people and injured many.

The attacks, which took place between 2018 and 2019, also saw many residents of districts of Nyamagabe, Nyaruguru, Rusizi and Nyamasheke lose property to the attackers who ransacked the different villages they attacked.

Among those appealing include some of the 94 civil parties who felt that the High Court Chamber for International and Cross-border Crimes did not accord them befitting compensation and want more reparations from Rusesabagina and co.

Rusesabagina, who withdrew from his trial in March last year, became the focus when the appeal hearing reopened, with Prosecutors maintaining that the trial can proceed without his presence.

The Prosecution said Rusesabagina was informed about the trial but did not receive or acknowledge the letter, as affirmed by Nyarugenge Prison where he is held but some of the lawyers questioned whether proper channels were used to communicate to him.

After nearly three hours of deliberations, Judge Rukundakuvuga said that the court would put in consideration all the matters raised and present its position today at 4pm.

 

Leave a Comment