RWANDA’s Noel Hitimana edged Kenyan as he continued his excellent performances, this time round, winning the Mezza del Naviglio half marathon on Sunday in Italy.
Hitimana clocked 1:03:26 to closest Kenyan rivals Paul Mwangi by one second while another Kenyan Peter Gitau finished third in 1:06:32. Hitimana was accompanied by Jean Marie Vianney Myasiro who finished sixth in 1:10:09.
The former APR athletics club runner has become a household name since last year when he won gold in men’s half-marathon during the 14th Kigali International Peace Marathon, was part of Rwanda’s quartet at this year’s IAAF World Cross Country Championships in Denmark.
This is the second half marathon for the Atletica Castello runner in a space of two weeks following the 2019 edition of the Italian Trieste Half-Marathon which he lifted on May 6.
In the women category, veteran runner Clementine Mukandanga finished fifth in 1:19:59 to come behind Ethiopian runner Addisalem Belay Tegegn who won this category in 1:18:53.
Mezza del Naviglio (Italy) 19/05/2019
1. Noel Hitimana (Rwanda) 1:03:26
2. Paul Mwangi (Kenya) 1:03:27
3. Peter Gitau (Kenya) 1:06:32
4. Birir Kipkorir (Kenya) 1:08:12
5. Evans Kiptum (Kenya) 1:08:50
6. Jean Marie Vianney Myasiro (Rwanda) 1:10:09
1. Addisalem Belay Tegegn (Ethiopia) 1:18:53
2. Asmerawork Bekele Wolkeba (Ethiopia) 1:18:59
3. Vivian Jerop Kemboi (Kenya) 1:19:04
4. Mary Wanjiru Wangari (Kenya) 1:19:19
5. Clementine Mukandanga (Rwanda) 1:19:59